Get Nigel′s Regular Updates
Freddie Johnson who was recently denied a place at the unveiling of a war memorial to Bomber Command will now be attending thanks to an intervention from his MP.
There was international outrage after former rear gunner Freddie Johnson DFC, 91, (pictured left) who had been refused a ticket to the ceremony on June 28 in Green Park, London, when the Queen will reveal the £6.5 million sculpture constructed in honour of his fallen colleagues in RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War.
As soon as Nigel Adams heard the news of Mr Johnson being unable to attend the ceremony he contacted the organisers of the RAF Bomber Command and was told Mr Johnson would receive two tickets to the ceremony and apologies were sent for any distress caused.
Mr Johnson, who won six medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for gallantry during five years on Wellington and Halifax bombers, was shot down twice, once behind enemy lines. The odds against each bomber crew surviving a flight over Nazi Germany were so high most did not complete 30 missions. But Mr Johnson flew more than 90.
Nigel said, ‘I am delighted to have helped Mr Johnson. I appreciate how difficult it is for the organisers to fit in all the people that wanted to go as there are not many veterans but families of the 50,000 plus people who died to look after, but a more deserving case than Mr Johnson would be hard to find.’
Mrs Johnson added, ‘He is certainly going to get my vote! He is really charming.’