Firstly, I would like to send my best wishes to everyone affected by the flooding of the recent week and those who are threatened by the weather to come. I have visited several communities affected and I know there is a lot of work going on to help prepare for potential flooding.
We are urging people to check their flood risk and take action to stay safe if they are at risk. Please see below for the advice:
- Remain vigilant to the risks of flooding over the coming days, report any blockages or fallen trees or vehicles in rivers that could cause an increase in flood risk to our incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.
- Prepare in advance. Check your flood risk, know what to do if flooding was expected, and be ready to respond.
- Keep up to date with the latest situation at https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-at-risk-of-flooding; call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or follow @EnvAgency and #floodaware on Twitter for the latest flood updates.
- Have a bag ready with vital items like insurance documents and medications in case you need to leave your home.
- Act - Be ready to act if flooding is possible. Stay tuned to local media and listen to advice and directions given by the emergency services. Move vital, valuable, irreplaceable items upstairs or to safety. Turn off gas, water and electricity.
- Stay away from swollen rivers and do not walk through flood water as it may be contaminated.
- Avoid driving through floodwater if at all possible as it can contain many hidden hazards, and always slow down when driving through puddles to avoid flooding nearby properties.
- Survive - Call 999 if you are in immediate danger. Listen to the emergency services and evacuate if asked to do so.
I want to assure you that preventing flooding is a huge priority and I view it with the utmost seriousness. We are in touch with the Environment Agency and you can find updates by clicking here to see the Environment Agency’s latest updates and preparation advice.
Should you need any further assistance or advice please do not hesitate to be in touch with my office.