This consultation is your opportunity to have your say on the City of Yorks and North Yorkshire devolution deal and the priorities to be set for our region, including how the £540 Million of new funding that the proposed devolution deal brings should be allocated.
The proposals also includes having a Mayor - with the election to be held in May 2024.
The consultation closes on 16 December and can be found here https://www.ynydevolution.com/.
A letter from the leaders and chief executives of the City of York and North Yorkshire County Councils explaining the importance of the consultation is attached ( Link here)
The main point of the devolution deal is to transfer more powers to local decision makers. Included in the proposed deal is
- A key leadership role for the mayor in public safety, taking on the role and functions of the Police Fire and Crime Commissioner and having a clear role in local resilience and civil contingency planning, preparation, and delivery.
- A commitment by the Government to work with the region to explore initiatives to improve the delivery of public services jointly with constituent authorities, such as how best to support residents with multiple complex needs.
- £18 million per year in an investment fund over 30 years to finance local priorities.
- Subject to a full business case, investment of up to £50 million to support and deliver the York Central brownfield regeneration scheme which would generate additional GVA and associated benefits for the whole York and North Yorkshire region.
- £7 million investment to enable York and North Yorkshire to drive green economic growth towards the ambition to become a carbon negative region.
- Investment of up to £2.65 million of projects to deliver affordable, low carbon homes.
- £13 million for the building of new homes on brownfield land across 2023/24 and 2024/25.
- A commitment to establish a working group to support the development of BioYorkshire.
- New powers from Government to drive regeneration and build more affordable homes.
- And new transport powers to improve and integrate the regional transport network.
This is a major change to the council structure creating massive opportunities. Please submit your comments via the consultation https://www.ynydevolution.com/.